Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hot tea- I am totally doing a post on it!

I made tea the other night and thought how silly it would be to take pictures and do a blog on it.  Not to mention that my husband came in as I was "posing" the cups with the tea... he might just think I've totally lost it.  I have really gotten into drinking hot tea the last few months.  It is so comforting.  Not only that, it is GOOD for you.  So, of course, I wanted to see exactly how good it is.
Here are just a few benefits of drinking hot tea:
  • Helps you relax and concentrate
  • Contains antioxidants- slows down effects of aging
  • Temporarily increases short-term memory
  • Protects your bones
  • Aids in digestion
  • Helps fight infection
  • Reduces risk of heart disease
  • Can reduce the risk of several cancers (skin, breast, lung, colon, esophageal, and bladder)
Here's how to make a yummy cup of tea:
Use fresh water (lots of tea drinkers say filtered water is best).  I use tap, let it run for a few seconds, then fill the pot.  Bring to a boil.  Here's where it could get tricky.  For white, green and oolong teas the water does not need to be at a full boil before pouring over the tea.  Let it stand for about 30 seconds when you take it off the stove.  Black teas need to be very hot at a rolling boil.


While the water comes to a boil get your tea ready.  Using pre-made bags is easier, but may not have as much flavor or be as fresh ( I still use some!).  Loose tea needs to be measured- about a teaspoon per cup- and poured in the bag or strainer. 


Let the tea steep for 1-3 minutes.  I used to think the longer the tea bag was in, the stronger/ fuller the tea would taste.  WRONG!  No wonder it was always so bitter!  Some teas can steep longer, just check the instructions.


Add your honey, milk or lemon (not supposed to add milk AND lemon because it will curdle).  I always use honey and sometimes lemon when I have a cold.


Ahhhh... sit back and enjoy...



Teas currently in my cabinet:
Chamomile
Strawberry & Champagne
Orange and Hibiscus (drinking as I type)
Green Tea & Raspberry
Cold & Flu blend (pre-bagged)
Acai Green Tea (pre-bagged)

One of my goals for 2010 is to learn to crochet.  Here's one reason why:


Find it here.

Now off to finish my cup o' tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment