Monday, December 6, 2010

What we've learned so far... I think

I have been online researching curriculum.. again.  First of all, I am trying to make it more of a prayerful adventure rather than getting bogged down by all the options (because- WOW!- there's a lot out there!).
I think (until I further confuse myself) that I can narrow down a few things about our style and what I am looking for next year as I start more in-depth learning projects.
  1. I like the Charlotte Mason method.  There is a free curriculum guide here.  I am  not crazy about the guide though as it seems like a lot of work to actually figure out how to use it.
  2. I might be lazier than I thought when it comes to all of this.
  3. The Waldorf method is also pretty cool.  I can see how it would be a natural transition into our style.  It is more new-agey (is that a word?), but their focus on creation could be easily directed to the Creator... with some imagination and effort.
  4. Maybe I am not quite as lazy as I thought!
  5. I will admit the whole unschooling is appealing.  I totally like the idea of following Sean's lead and taking advantage of his interests.  Giving him exposure to all sorts of knowledge, researching different subjects and coming up with projects and experiments...
  6. See #2.
  7. The curriculum I like most...so far... is My Father's World.  It is mission minded, includes all the subjects (no pricey add-ons for basics!) and has a Charlotte Mason influence.   I am going check out some blogs for a while to see it in action.  Thankfully I have until next fall to seek the Lord and look into it.  Right now it's my top contender.
Until then we will keep at the reading lessons, crafts projects, nature play & study and good ol' play time.

No comments:

Post a Comment